It wasn’t long ago when I tried my first go at overalls, then my second, and these are my third! I think it’s safe to say I’m hooked. And though I don’t have any coming up on my immediate list, I can easily create a case for a standard denim pair and a skirt version as well!

I’ve been contemplating which pattern to use as my base for a while and eventually settled on McCalls 7547. I knew I wanted to make a brown or rust pair. Originally I just wanted to get this pair from the gap because it comes in tall sizes, but sadly it didn’t fit me.

My back-up plan was to make my own and dye some PFD stretch denim from my stash with this Dylan terracotta fabric dye. Then Karleen from the Sewing Studio in Portland posted this rust stretch cord that was a Ralph Lauren deadstock and I was sold. My pattern had just arrived and I was ready to go.

I was already planning to hack the pattern to have button flys (or is it flies?) on the sides instead of the invisible zipper, so I hung onto my Gap pair to help me visualize how to hack that. It really wasn’t very hard, and helped me feel confident in my overall jeans making abilities doing it without instructions. I also wanted to showcase the buttons, so I re-drafted the pant front to have slash pockets and pockets stays. I later realized the pants view on the pattern had patch pockets that also would have worked, and would have been a lot easier because redrafting the front and pockets took some time.

When it came time for the button holes I reached for my jeans buttons to gauge the size and realized the copper buttons I had wouldn’t match my antique brass buckles. So I went with snaps that I had on hand. My bladder is thanking me, these come off so much easier than buttons. (see the supplies note below on product info if interested)

The Gap pair had a more utilitous pocket (technical term) and I really liked the design. I doubted I would utilize it to it’s full potential, but I wanted to try it anyway. See how it’s a pocket in a pocket? This get’s you two narrow pockets and one wider one that can hold a phone….if you wanted to put it there.

The pattern calls for stretch bottom-weight. The way these fit I totally could get away with rigid. My measurements fell squarely on the size 12, but I graded to a 14 below the hip because I typically need more room in the leg. There is enough ease that wasn’t necessary, but I left it in because my legs really appreciate the breathing room.

I’m glad I glanced through the instructions briefly before cutting to realize the straps aren’t adjustable. I added a bunch of the length to the straps so they could loop through a triglide. Seems like a necessity to me. I also thought the belt loop construction was a little funny, but went with it anyway. They are pretty narrow and aren’t tacked down, just sewn into the waistband seam. Obviously I would never wear a belt with these anyway so no big deal.

I’m super happy with how these turned out. They are comfortable, casual and trendy. I really wanted to make something with corduroy this year while it’s having it’s moment. But I  didn’t want to go overboard with all the corduroy (kind of how I’m going overboard with all things rust :P). I think overalls were the best choice for me. I won’t ever wear them with these booties though. I was actually photographing next week’s blog post and managed to squeeze in some pictures of these, but forgot to bring a different pair of shoes.


I got this buckle set, but the listing says they are bronze. Mine are definitely antique bronze, but I don’t know what the listing said when I got it. You could also just try this set (but then you’ll still need some buttons). I used spring snaps from Wawak, but I do not recommend them because only the front snap is antique brass, the other three parts are cheapo nickel. (You can’t tell from my picture because I used just one other snap from a different set where all four parts were antique bronze. This looks like  spring snap.

And in case you missed them: Pattern, Fabric Paired with the True Bias Nikko top in Charcoal rib knit.

*This post was not sponsored in any way. I purchased my own fabric and pattern and am receiving no compensation. I did however use some affiliate links to the products that I used and gave you my honest opinion on them, providing alternatives where I couldn’t put my stamp of approval. Affiliate links do not add any cost or change your purchase experience in any way if you follow them.

1 Comment

  1. Michelle! I saw these on instagram last year and thought they were really nice, but then I picked up the pattern and realized you used M7547 to create this look. Thanks for including info on making the button flys – I was able to find some info on pinterest (a diagram from an Italian drafting book) on adding a fly. I’m really glad to know that adding that detail wasn’t a problem for you. Thanks!

Write A Comment